Re: Running Up and Down Scales

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Running Up and Down Scales
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:55:20 -0700

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:38:19 -0700
Starling <address@hidden> wrote:
> Graham Percival <address@hidden> writes:
> > I'm not certain what you mean by this -- could you provide a scanned image
> > of the notation you desire?
>
> http://www.virtualsheetmusic.com/downloads/firstpage/Korsakov/BumbleePfFirst.pdf
>
> That's a good example, Flight of the Bumble-Bee by Korsakov.  You can
> hear the chromatic progression up and down a scale; there's a lot of
> repetition.  I was looking for a way to specify a list of the notes
> used, and then just indications where to change the direction of the
> scale from going up or down.

Oh, I see.  I thought you were after some wierd 20th century notation (similar
to jazz improv stuff).

You probably _could_ do that kind of thing with scheme, but I think it'd be
simplest just to write out the notes in a macro and then use \transpose.

tetra=\notes{c d e f}

main=\notes{
        \tetra
        \transpose c' cis' { \tetra }
}

Something like that.  (I haven't looked at the new \transpose notation yet,
so don't be confused if that part is wrong.)

Cheers,
- Graham