spreadsheet and lilypond

From: Pedro Kroger
Subject: spreadsheet and lilypond
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:03:52 -0300

Hi All,

Has anybody used a spreadsheet to typeset music with lily? Although I
really enjoy editors like emacs it seems to me that writing music in
"rows" (for staff lines) and "columns" (for measures) may a good
bet. The user could, for instance, select an entire measure of an
orchestral score (a column) or only the flute part (a row) and render
it through lilypond. Although the later is possible with emacs I can't
see how the former could be possible.

An additional feature is that the measures numbers match the column
numbers making very easy to find where is the lily code for the
measure 53 of the trombone, for example (ok, we can use source
specials with emacs, I know :))

Of course a regular spreadsheet lacks many features we need, hence the
need to write a specific application. Would you find this useful? I've
lately thinking of a sort of front-end like that to lilypond. Any
thoughts?

Cheers,

Pedro