Re: spreadsheet and lilypond

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: spreadsheet and lilypond
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:36:50 -0400

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 12:25 pm, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Pedro Kroger writes:
> > Has anybody used a spreadsheet to typeset music with lily?
>
> I think this sort of is what the sly format (see archives) wants to
> achieve.
>
> > Of course a regular spreadsheet lacks many features we need, hence
> > the need to write a specific application. Would you find this
> > useful?
>
> If you do, write a filter that processes TAB separated output from
> spreadsheet to .ly.
>
> Jan.

I have been revising sly to use a tab separator in the body of the
program, such as it is, because it would be more foolproof to have a
single character for a field separator, but to edit the sly file the
"space|" is better.  No?  How not?

Processing the output to .ly is simply a matter of running ly-include
with a % on lines where you don't want the includes read in, right now.
Python probably couldn't find the problem lines anyway.  I will put
the readin feature in the sly script.  I've already been doing it
using lilypond-book.

But bear in mind that the \include method permits one to
bring up a new version with lilypond only processing the
new part.  For a single long piece, this is much faster.
And it's nice to have lilypond give you a line number that
is the same as the measure number when a mistake is made.
Generating both is the way to go.  It will be done.   DaveA

--
...New occasions teach new duties; Time makes ancient good uncouth;
They must upward still, and onward, who would keep abreast of truth;