Re: drowning in v***us messages

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: drowning in v***us messages
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:01:58 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> jeff covey writes:
>

> It is getting nasty, I agree.  Your subject line got this mail caught
> in my procmail filter...
>
> Maybe there should be a law that people cannot enter your email
> address in an address list managed by some lesser software, without
> your explicit permission.
>
> > could this list please be configured so only members can post to it?
>
> I'm afraid there is not much we can do.  lilypond-user is a public
> list.  As it is, it is hard enough to get (some) people not to email
> us directly.
>
> I would welcome some kind of filtering at gnu.org, maybe we could look
> into that.

There is already decent spam filtering at gnu.org, as evidenced by the
paucity of spam in the archives. As for the virus problem, that's is a
different problem alltogether: the virus reports are turning up
everywhere, and they're driving me mad too ; making the list
members-only doesn't help, though since most of the bounce reports
come in through my regular mail. My best advice is to apply strict
filtering rules.

(FWIW, Jeff's original email was also discarded by my filtering rules).