Re: lilypond on slack 9 (working after much trouble)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond on slack 9 (working after much trouble)
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:49:25 +0200

Ed Sutton wrote:
to make it work, ive had to put forth a lil more effort than the installation page mentions...:
installed:
  gcc 2.95-3
  guile-core-20030716
  mftrace-1.0.19.tar.gz
  pfaedit full-030818
  lilypond-1.8.0.tar.gz
  type1-1.8.0.tar.gz
autotrace-0.30.tar.gz (tried 0.31.1, which lead to more problems so i decided to try the suggested 0.30 before starting another sublevel problem tracking...)
  t1utils-1.28.tar.gz
maybe others too, but i cant remember for now.
i never (permanentely) added /usr/share/texmf/bin/ to my path, which was required for kpsewhich and kpsexpand , if not more. i just used an export command with my current path, listed by env, and repeated the step whenever i noticed a kps program listed as command not found.

??? Doesn't the slackware teTeX installation put the executables in
the path? Not even commands like 'tex' or 'latex'?

if i can provide more useful information, let me know. i made a slackware package for lilypond, but it still preceeded the commands of sh buildscripts/clean-fonts.sh , make pfa-fonts , make MAKE_PFA_FILES=1 install , and texhash . i cant remember if i performed the steps after that. i am not sure what 'make MAKE_PFA_FILES=1 install' does different from a 'make install' to know how to add its results to a package either.

It adds the Type1 files (.pfa), for the fonts. In other words,
you can get nice scalable fonts instead of fuzzy-looking bitmap
fonts in your PDF documents. Try 'ly2dvi -p' to get these PDF
files, you'll get a warning if you didn't manage to install the
.pfa font files.

at least at this point i do have lilypond working (after over a day of working with it). are there plans to move away from flex due to gcc 3.x incompatibilities? in the meantime, thanks again for what looks like it should be a good and fun program (now that i got past the install). now ive got a lil learning ahead of me, but through a lil exploring of your site it looks that wont even be very hard. ive got a bit of a programming history behind me (although not career orientated), but unfortunately its been a while since ive done much at all and i havent really done any programming since ive ben on linux. if there is any further help that i can offer, let me know. in the meantime, i will try to present a few outputs to some people i know for feedback, and if they ever see details to criticize, ill be sure to forward it along.
thanks again,
Ed Sutton