Re: Windows/TEST: lilypond-1.8.1-11

From: Warren Stickney
Subject: Re: Windows/TEST: lilypond-1.8.1-11
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:51:25 +1200

On comparison with the (-p) PS output from 1.6.8, I notice that there are
differences in the 1.8.1 settings:

Summarising these for 1.8.1:

1  The font used in my

head = "\\footnotesize \\textnormal {name of composer: title}"

is different, and not useable as such as the interletter spacing is all over
the place, I would have to specify something like \\textit, \\textbf, etc,
and then it looks good. Of course this is easy to do and not really a
problem.

1.6.8 gave a plain (roman?) but very useable font with \\textnormal

Possibly the default font is user settable by some means?

2  The positioning on the page is different, where in a particular case I
could get 3 systems on page 1 with 1.6.8 using, say

\property Staff.minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-3 . 3)       % and in the paper
block
                  textheight = 25.6\cm
                  interscoreline = 8.0\mm

1.8.1 gives only 2 widely spaced systems.

The printout seems to start further down from the top.

3  Within systems, staves are spread further apart for the same setting of
minimumVerticalExtent, although the height of each stave is the same, and
the lyrics font size seems the same.

4  The left margin is larger and the right margin less, moving the music
slightly to the right.

I can apply different settings of course to achieve what I want, so I simply
raise these differences as a matter of interest.

These changes could, of course, have been present in 1.8.0 also, I didn't
have any time to explore 1.8.0.

Warren Stickney
Wellington,
New Zealand