Mac problems Was: dvips Problem, Round III

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Mac problems Was: dvips Problem, Round III
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:27:13 +0200

(Copy to bug-lilypond since I think we have found a bug/limitation
if LilyPond here.)

Now we are getting somewhere. With your attached file, I can
certainly reproduce your problem. The problem seems to be that
that Mac text files use only Carriage Return (ASCII 13) for line
endings, whereas UNIX uses Line Feed (ASCII 10) and Windows uses
both. Lilypond can handle UNIX and Windows style line endings
but apparently not the Mac style.
I browsed through the documentation of BBEdit and as far as
I can see, it has an option to save the file with Unix or
Windows line breaks (click on Options in the Save window).

I am surprised that this problem hasn't been brought up by
other Mac users, it shouldn't be very difficult to change the
frontend of Lilypond to accept '\r' as line end.

Another problem was that the file ends with the following line:
45- 3vmtoperg
I have no idea where this string comes from but fortunately,
lilypond doesn't seem to care since it comes after the final
right brace of the score.

To conclude, just save the file with Unix or Windows style line
endings and hopefully everything should work fine.

   /Mats

Will Oram wrote:
Had character encoding been an issue, lilypond would have choked on my input long ago.

I use BBEdit Lite (http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/index.shtml) to write code. It works in ASCII, mostly because it's meant more of a code editor than anything else.

I don't have any compression utility on my computer at the moment (forgot to copy it from old to new HD!), but I hope this file will transfer fine. If it doesn't I'll put more of an effort into finding something to compress it with.