Re: confused about 1.8

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: confused about 1.8
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:38:35 +0200

What is the problem? If you upgrade your LilyPond installation, you
have to learn the syntax of the new version. There are no huge
differences but several smaller ones. One good way of learning the
differences is to run an old example through convert-ly and see what
it changes.

   /Mats

Aaron wrote:
Hm I cc to the group...

I don't really understand what you mean, do you have both 1.6 and 1.8
installed at the same time? Since convert-ly never will be able to
update exactly all incompatibilities between versions, I definitely
recommend to write all new files for the LilyPond version you intend
to use. .
This could be a problem if you do larger typesetting projects,
since if you have an older version you may risk to encounter a bug
or problem that will only be solved in newer versions of the program.

Well maybe it is a bug cause I can't author anything new without using
convert. So if what you say is true I must infact do a clean uninstall
of lilypond and install it again from scratch.

I installed from Planet CCRMA and maybe there is a problem doing an
upgrade.

If you think the problem might originate with planet ccrma, I can let
Nado know about it. I now see that indeed there is a problem.

here is what I plan to do.
I will uninstall and then (not sure all directories) I will manually
remove all directories that are hanging on.
I will then install the 1.8.1 from planet CCRMA.
Does that sound reasonalble???
Thanks
Aaron

   /Mats