Re: splitting midi channels by voice

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: splitting midi channels by voice
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:08:11 -0400

On Friday 12 September 2003 10:30 am, Arvid Grøtting wrote:
> If I understand the documentation and the config files correctly,
> each staff is output to a separate midi channel, but voices within a
> staff share that channel.
>
> Is there a simple way to output one midi channel per voice, instead
> of per staff?  This could be immensely useful for me when typesetting
> simple TTBB scores on two staves...

I asked for this and got it from Mats some time ago.  It's in the
archives.

If you use sly, it might be just as easy to maintain a separate midi
version, initially using the same notes for both a two stave and a four
stave version.   You might like more or different dynamics in the
midi version, for example.

The opposite problem of splitting voices was asked a little while
ago, but I still think that midi staves should be lilypond voices,
and the reason is that unisons just don't work on a midi staff
with more than one voice, and that's a built-in bug.  If splitting
to get huge numbers of parts is the reason for keeping things the
way they are, that limitation should be documented.  Better yet,
it should be documented anyway.

I used tuba, trumpet, clarinet and flute IIRC for a barbershop
quartet midi file for rehearsal purposes.  The contrasting
sounds made it easier for the singers to learn their parts
from the tape I made of the file.

If you're doing a lot of pieces of the same type, especially if you are
making an anthology,  you could make two templates and generate two .ly
files when you run sly on your notes.  Just a thought.  daveA

--
Why should any country entrust its young people to the leadership of
the same