Re: question about accidentals

From: Lucas Gonze
Subject: Re: question about accidentals
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:43:50 -0400

On Samedi, sep 13, 2003, at 12:22 America/New_York, Rune Zedeler wrote:

Lucas Gonze wrote:
Given the following score, the 2nd note should come out in the DVI as an F sharp, but is instead an F natural. Any suggestions? Have mercy -- I am still struggling through the "hello world" stage.
\score {
       \notes {
                 \clef treble
                 \time 3/8
          \key g \major
                  g16 f e dis e c
       }
       \paper {}
}

"f" means f natural, "fis" means f sharp.
If you want f sharp, then why did you write "f" instead of "fis"?

We see this question very often on this list - and I REALLY don't understand why... :-(

I don't mean that the F note comes out of lilypond as an unmarked F with no accidentals, I mean that it comes out with an F with a natural accidental, which cancels out the F# in the key signature.

The counter impression comes from the tutorial bit where it says "Accidentals don't have to be marked explicitly: you just enter the note name, and LilyPond determines whether or not to print an accidental." To my ear that reads like you follow the same principle as with notes on ledger lines, where you mark the default accidentals as part of the key signature and then don't mention the accidental unless you want to deviate from the defaults. That's how all musicians think about accidentals, which is you see the question over and over.

As I'm coming to understand it, if you are in "\key F \major",
   "bes" will give you a no-accidental B
   "b" will give you a b with a natural accidental

 Yeah?