Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 1.9.5

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Debian (Sid) packages for Lilypond 1.9.5
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:29:54 +0200

Pedro Kroger writes:

> well, that's how development of free software works :-)

> the "new" package idea is very good. I was thinking of 1.9.x replacing
> 1.8 which now doesn't sound good because 1.9 is a development series.

Ok.

> Having a "new" package will imply on installing the binaries in a
> different place than 1.8 and having a different name (in case one
> wants to install both 1.8.x and 1.9.x).

I'm not sure, but something will have to be done.  Note that
lilypond's data directories do already have a version string.  The
biggers problem may be the fonts: how to support two versions of feta
on one system?  We may even have to add versioning to feta.

There are at least two 'standards' that Debian uses.  You can have
binaries tagged with version strings (what python does).  Then there
is the alternatives mechanism, but I'm not sure if it is used for
different versions of the same package.  Mozilla uses a second set of
-snapshot packages, while gcc, apart from the different versions
gccX.Y, is also packaged as -snapshot and -experimental, which live in
completely different trees.

These are mere 'technical details' that you can discuss with Anthony,
and possibly the debian-devel list.

Jan.