Re: lilypond on FreeBSD.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond on FreeBSD.
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:37:22 +0200

It seems that your xdvi is setup to use fairly low resolution fonts,
(406 dpi). Either you could use 'texconfig mode' to change the setup
to ljfour or some other 600dpi mode. If you want the agfafzz mode
for your printer but still want higher resolution in xdvi, change
manually in the file .../texmf/xdvi/Xdvi setting the mfmode to ljfour
and the pixelsPerInch to 600.

   /Mats

Eric Gebhart wrote:
I have tetex 2.01.

This sort of strangness makes me suspicious.  Only I would never
know unless you told me.

I deinstalled tetex, recompiled and installed it.
I ran texconfig with better, but still awful results afterward.

My dvi file would come up but the notes looked like stems with
2 small detached dots.

I recompiled and reinstalled lilypond.
I also changed the quoting in lilypond-profile back to it's original state.

Now it looks like it's working.  Better even than 1.6.12 which
couldn't do anything but quarter notes.

The resolution looks bad though.  32nd note bars are run together. It's
tolerable
at 25%.  and pretty good at 50%.

The postscript looses the bars and the lines above and below the staff.  I'm not
sure what to do about that either.  I haven't read up on the ps doc.  I must not
have something installed or set up.

xdvi gave me this the first time.  Is there a better mode that I should
be using.  I didn't have a clue, what to tell texconfig...

xdvi foo.dvi
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode agfafzz --bdpi 406 --mag 1+0/406 --dpi 406
feta20
mktexpk: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=agfafzz; mag:=1+0/406;
nonstopmode; input feta20
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.4.5)

(/usr/local/share/lilypond/1.8.0/fonts/source/feta20.mf
(/usr/local/share/lilypond/1.8.0/fonts/source/feta-autometric.mf
Using feta Autometric macros. Do not worry about the @ signs in the output, they are not errors.
thanks,

Eric

----- Mats Bengtsson's Original Message -----

Eric Gebhart wrote:

Here's more debug.  It still doesn't make any sense.  There is a missing }

----- Mats Bengtsson's Original Message -----

As I said before, please, please keep the discussion on the mailing list, don't just reply to me in private.

Sure. If you'll do the same. It would be a lot easier to keep it on the list if you didn't keep responding to me privately.

Some people get very upset if you forward a privately sent email
to a mailing list. I respect such an opinion and send private
answers to those sending me a question in private email. At the
same time, I keep urging them to followup to the email list and
tell them that they are welcome to quote my text.

You may want to set the environment variable KPATHSEA_DEBUG to -1
and then run xdvi again. You will get tons of debugging information
on stdout that might give you a clue.

Some comments below. I think your teTeX setup looks a bit strange.
The file where all these settings are done for teTeX can be found using
kpsewhich texmf.cnf. Do you know what teTeX version you have installed?
Can you find out what changes have been introduced in the FreeBSD
package compared to standard teTeX (and why)?

I don't recommend to start playing around with the texmf.cnf file if you
don't know exactly what you are doing. Rather, I would start with a
fresh copy of the file from the standard teTeX source code distribution
which can be found at any mirror of www.ctan.org. Make sure to find a
copy corresponding to your installed version.

Here's part of what it says.  That mismatched { has got to be the problem.

Eric

kdebug:hash_lookup(PKFONTS) => .:{$TEXMF/fonts:$VARTEXFONTS}//pk/{$MAKETEX_MODE:modeless}// .:{$TEXMF/fonts:$VARTEXFONTS}//pk/{$MAKETEX_MODE:modeless}//

This looks strange! In both teTeX 1.07 and teTeX 2.02, the variable is
set to
.:{$TEXMF/fonts,$VARTEXFONTS}/pk/{$MAKETEX_MODE,modeless}//

kdebug:hash_lookup(VARTEXFONTS) => /var/tmp/texfonts /var/tmp/texfonts

This also looks strange! First of all the same path is duplicated,
secondly if you had several paths they shouldnt be separated by a space.

  /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems