[J�zsa M�rton] RE: Beams == Melismata?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: [Józsa Márton] RE: Beams == Melismata?
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:07:47 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> Well, then I think it depends on the language of lyrics. According to
> Hungarian conventions beams never mean melismata, only slurs and ties.
> (I came to this problem when I wanted to "unbeam" two notes. Can it be
> done
> without switching autobeaming temporarily off?)

I have added code to 1.9CVS, which lets you switch what determines the
melismata.

> I suppose that lyrics alignment also depends on language. For example in
> Hungarian score syllables generally should be aligned that the vowel is
> under the notehead.

Actually, the lyric alignment code was contributed by Glen Prideaux,
who since disappeared off the face of the earth. Unfortunately, what
he contributed was not very good: the code does a lot of formatting
where it shouldn't (during "interpreting"), and it gets all the
alignment wrong: putting the vowel under the note head is the standard
convention, and I don't know what lily does, but doesn't look good.