inversions in lilypond 1.8.2

From: Ray Brohinsky
Subject: inversions in lilypond 1.8.2
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:12:34 -0400

I hope I haven't missed list discussion of this in the recent past. I'm afraid Alaska has been frustrating me a bit, but that's another story.

I'm trying to set a keyboard part for music I have to play tomorrow night (isn't it always that way?). For voice leading, I really need an Aminor chord in the third inversion, ie, c e a.

Using a:m gets a c e. This is fine.
Using a:m/c gets c a e. This is not.
Using a:m/e is almost ok, but I don't know of a good way to move the c down. Using a:m/e/c or a:m/c/e gets errors.

I would be willing to use a,:m if I could transpose the a 'out of the chord' to where it belogns on the top... but there seems to be no octave-up version of /a.

Have I missed something the size of a moose or is there a work around in 1.8.2? (Even if there's a fix in 1.9.whatever, would be good, although for tonight, if that's the case, I'll just put an a and hand-write the rest of the chord.)

raybro