Newbie question

From: Ricardo Kirkner
Subject: Newbie question
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:41:53 -0300

Hi!

I am really new to lilypond. I wanted to try it out, because I am trying to become independent on any music notation program. I thought maybe MusicXML could help me out, but it was too verbose to be of any practical use when transcribing music manually. Therefore I got lilypond. But now, after I have transcribed one or two pieces, a question comes to my mind. I couldn't figure out the documentation too much (at least not after the newbie-level).

My questions are:

1- How do you tell lilypond to typeset all brackets of equal lenghts (or at least not each bracket out of two on a different lenght).
2- How do you put some words before the Staff and get no errors in the process (i have tried to use the instrument property, but then lily claims the word is not an instrument - in this case Soprano, for example)
3- more generally: where can I find a useful documentation on how to achieve some specific stuff - i mean not that the lilypond docs are not useful, but they are not really user-friendly. In this case I refer to the time when you want to do something, but you don't know how to do it in lily -- besides asking it out, like here (which can be very annoying for you if I have many questions :-) ) where can you search?

I hope that someone can answer me this questions (without beeing too harsh because of the newbie-ty of this mail)

with regards

ricardo kirkner