Re: papersize problem

From: Peter Lutek
Subject: Re: papersize problem
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:04:40 -0400

yes, AFAIK common usage is "tabloid" for portrait (11x17) and "ledger" for landscape (17x11). since portrait is probably more generally useful, i would suggest switching 'ledger' to 'tabloid', and maintaining portrait orientation.

of course, having both options available would be even better!  :)

-p

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

The simple reason is that the ly2dvi script doesn't know about
the legal and ledger paper sizes. I just tried to add the support
but ran into a small problem;

Would you expect a ledger paper to be used mainly in landscape or
in portrait orientation? It turns out that dvips (that we use to
convert .dvi to .ps files) expects ledger paper to be 17inch wide
and 11inch high, i.e. in landscape orientation. Dvips uses 'tabloid'
to denote 17'x11' paper used in portrait orientation. The same
naming convention is described, for example, in
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=paper+sizes+tabloid&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=1995Jun8.104533.18767%40sei.cmu.edu&rnum=1

What do you think, should we rename 'ledger' to 'tabloid' or change
the definitions in ledger-init.ly to correspond to landscape
orientation?

   /Mats

Peter Lutek wrote:

greetings!

on my installation of lilypond (1.8.0 on RedHat9), if i attempt to use papersize = "legal" or papersize = "ledger", i get an ly2dvi warning saying "legal" or "ledger" is an invalid value. "letter", "a3", and "a4" are all ok.

ledger-init.ly , legal-init.ly , a3-init.ly , a4-init.ly , and letter-init.ly all exist and appear to have the same syntax.

why do two of these size definitions not work?

-p