Re: documentation

From: Jeffery B. Rancier
Subject: Re: documentation
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:36:47 -0400

Aaron <address@hidden> writes:

>  I have friends who I am trying to win over to lilypond, but they keep
> telling me its to complicated.
>
> an example to illustrate:
>
> -( -) slur
>
> would be much clearer for a newbie if it had notes attached to it.
> c4-( d4 e4-)
>
> and it doesn't take up much more room.

On a similar note, I'm using Emacs, and if a DTD existed for lilypond
(I'm sure the parser uses something, a BNF grammer or the like), then
what about an XML rendition, employing Emacs' PSGML mode, when you
could insert XML nodes (via hotkeys, or a menu), use XERCES to
validate, then use a stylesheet and XALAN to transform the XML to a
.ly file?

Just a thought.

c4-( d4 e4-) might be

<score>
  <notes>
    <slur>
      <c4>
      <d>
      <e>
    </slur>
  </notes>
  <paper indent="0.0\mm" papersize="letter"\>
  <midi tempo="4=90"\>
</score>

--
Jeff