Re: Questions about guitar tablature support

From: Terje Tjervaag
Subject: Re: Questions about guitar tablature support
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:23:56 +0200

Sorry to bump this one, but I am also very interested in more advanced tablature support in Lilypond and I'm wondering if there are any people working on this right now. If not, would you accept submissions regarding tab or have you decided to leave the tab support where it is?

I haven't looked at any source for lilypond yet so I don't know if I'm able to contribute with anything, just thought I'd see what interest there are for better tablature support. I'm hereby voicing mine! :-)

Just to explain my interest a bit more, I am currently writing a tablature editor for Mac OS X with lilypond as the back-end. It's open source like lilypond, so if people are interested please let me know, I could use all the help I can get. Anyhow, my primary instrument is banjo, which doesn't have much tablature structures that lilypond can't handle at the moment (besides slides and maybe a couple of other things) but I also want to support other instruments, such as guitar. I am however, trying to focus my efforts on instruments where tab is used as the primary and preferred method of writing music. The banjo is one of these, as roll structures, picking patterns and the like cannot be described sufficiently with any other method than tablature.
Well, just wanted to let you know why I wrote.

Cheers!

Terje