Re: Lilypond, tetex, MiKTeX, and Emacs on Windows

From: Bill Harris
Subject: Re: Lilypond, tetex, MiKTeX, and Emacs on Windows
Date: 25 Sep 2003 11:31:45 -0700

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

> Bill Harris writes:
>
> > What I was hoping to have was a pointer to something that would allow me
> > to switch between tetex and MiKTeX.  I have a number of things
> > configured in MiKTeX, and I worry about the time it would take (and the
> > dead ends I might encounter) when doing a wholesale switch to tetex.
>
> Sorry, can't help you.  You could ask on the cygwin list.

I did a bit of experimenting.  echo $PATH in cygwin showed it to be

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/program
files/imagemagick-5.5.7-q8:/cyg
drive/c/texmf/miktex/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdr
ive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-21.2/bin

That's not very helpful, as I wanted it to pick up miktex first right
now.  I tried setting the variable latex-run-command to
"/texmf/miktex/bin/latex" in Emacs, but that didn't help, for some
reason.  (If it had, I think it would have been the solution I sought.
That way, lilypond could do its thing and AUCTeX could do its thing.)

So, I set PATH to

/cygdrive/c/texmf/miktex/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/program
files/imagemagick-5.5.7-q8:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdr
ive/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/emacs/emacs-21.2/bin

in a bash shell and latex'd the file I was trying to run through
Prosper, and it seemed to work.  That's a bit of a pain, for AUCTeX
can't handle running LaTeX for me, but at least it lets me get Prosper
working now.

If this stimulates any ideas on the part of Emacs wizards, I'd be happy
to hear how I can have Emacs go directly to MiKTeX while leaving
lilypond and tetex alone.

Thanks,

Bill
--
Bill Harris                                  3217 102nd Place SE
Facilitated Systems                          Everett, WA 98208 USA