Re: individual tie directions in chords

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: individual tie directions in chords
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:54:10 -0400

On Friday 26 September 2003 09:27 pm, address@hidden wrote:
> > On Friday 26 September 2003 04:57 pm, you wrote:
> >> in the following:
> >>
> >> \score {
> >> \notes \relative c' {
> >> <f g c>~<f g c>
> >> }
> >> \paper { raggedright = ##t}
> >> }
> >>
> >> it seems clear to me that the tie between g's should go up, to
> >> avoid colliding with the tie between f's. unfortunately, that does
> >> not follow the rule of curving away from staff center.
> >>
> >> i have not been able to find a way of controlling tie DIRECTION
> >> for individual notes in a chord. i suppose the method of placing
> >> the tie engraver at thread level (shown in
> >> regression/tie-chord-partial.ly) would work, but in the context of
> >> a succession of chords, where only one needs this treatment, isn't
> >> it difficult to switch between that and the regular use of the tie
> >> engraver?
> >>
> >> is there no simpler way to do this?
> >
> > I don't know whether it's simpler or not, but the best thing to
> > do IMHO is to render some or all of the chord as different
> > voices.  daveA
>
> thanks, david...... would you be kind enough to give me an example of
> how to do this? i'm having trouble figuring out how to use different
> voices but still have it look like a chord rather than like
> polyphony.

You can have any number of voices set to VoiceThree, then change
\tieDown and \tieUp and \stemBoth as needed.  Or don't use voiceNumber
at all. Invisible rests or notes (not \skip rests) in a third part are
a quick and dirty way to defeat the collision code, althought that is
subject to change.  They have to have pitch though, because they can
increase distance between staves.

The correct usage is that in an actual collision between a rest and a
stem, the rest is placed *always* *before* the stem, and not tucked in
behind it when the stem is down.  Someday presumably that will be
implemented, if it is not now.  I haven't seen that rule in
books, but observation of old scores shows that it was totally standard
practice.  I'm sure collision can be turned off somehow, which is a
better bet anyway.  daveA

--
Br`er Fox told Br`er Rabbit that the Tar Baby had dissed him, and Fox
made a