Re: question on putting music in lilypond format

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: question on putting music in lilypond format
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:05:08 -0700

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
Bryan Koschmann - GKT <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have a been of an odd, possibly debatable question. What are the "rules"
> or at least opinions on buying sheet music and putting it lilypond format
> to reprint it later? This is all for personal use, but I would like to
> respect the people who deserve it. Of course I could technically photocopy
> it and keep a master, but this would be far easier in the long run.

This really depends on your country's laws.  As a general rule of thumb,
(and I should note that I am not a lawyer; this is a personal opinion based
on numerous snippets of copyright information floating around on the 'net)
you're allowed to either copy or distribute, but not both.

I think that all countries have provisions for personal use (for example,
making a copy of sheet music so that you can scribble fingerings and bowings
on it without ruining your original).  If you're concerned about this, I
recommend that you check your country's laws -- they should be online at
some government website somewhere.  I know that Canada and the US have done
this.

If you want to put it in LilyPond format and then send that to other people,
we have quite different rules.  Check here for a taste:
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/legal.html

> And, if this is acceptable, are there any hints for making it easier?
> Shortcuts with vim, or certain programs, etc.

See the manual about "easier note entry" (or something like that); that's
the place that such information should be.

Cheers,
- Graham