Re: Two Lilies on one box?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Two Lilies on one box?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:38:06 +0200

Rune Zedeler wrote:
Amelie Zapf wrote:

Is there a way to install two versions of Lilypond on one computer (Linux, preferably system-wide), without running into problems? I tend to think that fonts, and generally the whole LaTeX interaction could be a problem. Is that so?

I think that the easiest way (the one I use) is to install lilypond in some special directory. Then you could refer to the specific lilypond with a symlink.

I.e. install lily 1.6 in /usr/lilypond_1_6 and 2.0 in /usr/lilypond_2_0.
Then make a symlink from /usr/lilypond_1_6 to /usr/lilypond and put /usr/lilypond in your path. Whenever you want switch to 2.0 just change the symlink. This way you have no problems with fonts because the fonts get created locally in the lilypond-dir.

Only if the user has write access in /usr/lilypond*/fonts/pk/,
otherwise the bitmap font files generated on the fly will end up in
kpsexpand \$VARTEXFONTS. As long as you use ly2dvi/lilypond -p, this
will not be an issue since the PDF files will use the Type1 fonts
that already are included in the installation.

   Mats