Re: Accidental text in score

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Accidental text in score
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:52:58 +0200

Terje Tjervaag wrote:
Hi,

Sorry if this is covered in the manual, I can't find it anywhere. Is it possible to insert pieces of text anywhere within the score? I'm thinking about comments and whatnot and it would be useful to be able to place them wherever. If this is not possible, what are the possibilities in Lilypond regarding comments and other information along the lines of the score?

What do you want, more specifically? For short comments, a text script
should work just fine, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.8/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Text-scripts.html
and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.8/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Text-markup.html

If you want paragraphs of text with full line width, between two score
lines, you could either use the between-systems-strings property to
insert any LaTeX code, as described at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.8/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Page-layout.html

If you have even more text, lilypond-book is probably the way to go, since

I also have a question about fingering information. Is it possible to have two sets of fingering informations, one above and one below the lines to signify the left and right hand respectively? And is it possible to replace the numbers in the fingering notation by letters so t=thumb, i=index and so on?

You can specify that a fingering, just as well as text scripts, dynamics
or articulations, can be typeset above or below the score line using
^1 and _1, respectively. This is documented for articulations at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v1.8/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Articulations.html
but it's maybe not clearly described that the same applies to other
kind of annotations.

If you want letters instead of numbers, I recommend text scripts.
The only problem is if you want to use the fingerHorizontalDirection
feature.