Re: multiple markups when combining voices on single staff

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: multiple markups when combining voices on single staff
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 13:05:04 +0200

Niki Pantelias wrote:
  Hi Graham (everyone),

Thanks for the reply. I have experimented a bit with \partcombine, but I believe it is limited to only two voices; I need to put three or four voices on a single staff. Also, I'd like to have the stems "shared" across noteheads not set in opposite directions as \partcombine does.

Just using simultaneous music, as I've been doing so far, combines noteheads and dynamic markings exactly as I'd like, but doesn't seem to work so well for articulation or solo sections (where it sets notes and rests on top of each other).

You shouldn't get any collisions between notes and rests, did you
remember to make a new context for each of the voices (assigning
separate names for each context or using < {...} \\ {...}> or
using the \new function (which is new in version 2.0)).

For dynamic markings, it may be more convenient to define them
separately from the music, so you can choose when to include them:
dynamicsA = \notes{ s1 \f \skip 1*10 s1 \pp ...}

Does anyone know if this is supposed to work, or if there is a workaround? Or a way to make \partcombine work with more than two voices?

You can always do it with some extra manual work, but I can't point to
any automatic solution at the moment. See also http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2003-09/msg00038.html

   Mats