Docs suggestion

From: J. Daniel Ashton
Subject: Docs suggestion
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 08:51:37 -0400

I'd like to see a new section in the fine manual: How-Tos.

In specific, I'm looking for something like "How to adjust the 'margins'
on output (see linewidth, place it _after_ the \include paper16.ly)."
Or "How to move the lyrics closer to the notes."  Or "How to make the
lyrics line up with the first note of each melisma."

Some of this same material exists as comments or implications in the
regression tests.  Some of it doesn't.  As a late-night frustrated user,
I'd like a place in the manual that showed extremely brief but complete
examples, preferrably accurate with the current version of the software.

Someone asked recently for Docs suggestions and criticisms, so there's
my two cents worth.

I go to the docs, particularly the PDF file, for everything.  When I
fail to find something there I turn to the regression tests and other
.ly files littering the installation directory.

My feeling is that new users have terminology problems (the docs could
help somewhat).  For example, Margin is found in relation only to TeX
and LaTex files: nothing ties it to linewidth.

In the last two revisions Lilypond docs have added some excellent, very
readable explanatory material.  I really like the new versions of the
first two chapters.  But as someone who's operating under an intense
time constraint, I also need a How-To section, which should embody the
FAQs, the examples and samples, the regression tests, and a How-To spin
on each of the remaining document sections.  Short but complete examples
are intensely useful.

--
Daniel Ashton      PGP key available     http://Daniel.AshtonFam.org
mailto:address@hidden         http://ChamberMusicWeekend.org