relative question

From: Aaron
Subject: relative question
Date: 08 Oct 2003 23:06:51 +0200

sorry about the previous post with the weird subject,(a mixup with my email
client) I am reposting with my
original subject.
Aaron

Hi all,

I rememeber reading about a change to \relative. I opened the news
section of the docs and this is what I saw.

I just can't make heads or tails out of it, could someone explain this
for me??

Also if this is a new way of using \relative it seems that the old way
is still in the docs....
The definition of \relative has been simplified. Octaves are now always
propagated in the order that music is entered. In the following example,
            PRE
            \repeat "unfold" 3  BODY \alternative { ALT1 ALT2 }
            POST

the octave of BODY is based on PRE, the starting octave of ALT1 on BODY,
the starting octave of ALT2 on ALT1, and the starting octave of POST on
ALT2.

The same mechanism is used for all other music expressions, except the
chord. Backwards compatibility is retained through a special program
option, which is set through

            #(ly:set-option 'old-relative)

Thanks
Aaron