Re: Lilypond-book spaces

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond-book spaces
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:48:45 +0200

This is really a LaTeX question that is not really related to LilyPond
at all.

If you say

\noindent LEFT \hfill MIDDLE \hfill RIGHT

in a LaTeX document, the two \hfill commands will fill act like a
pair of rubber bands that stretch out evenly and put the word "MIDDLE"
in the middle.

If you say

\noindent LEFT \hfill MIDDLE \hfill EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEMELYLONGRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

the three words do not fit on the same line, so LaTeX has to insert a
line break before the third word. This line break will also eat up all
white space before it, including the \hfill command, so the \hfill
before the word "MIDDLE" can stretch out all the way to the end of the
line.

If your song.ly had been just one measure long and you had used the
raggedright option so that the full score was just a few
centimeters long, than the full music music fragment would have
acted just like the word "RIGHT" as in the first example. Now you
probably have a score with several lines of music which means that
the first line of music will work like the "EXTREEE....IIIGHT" word
in the second example.

   /Mats

Rob V wrote:
When I'm using lilypond-book with 2.0.1 on Cygwin, if I type in:

\noindent 205 \hfill Song Title  \hfill \hfill

I get the song number at the left and the title in the middle.

If I put \lilypondfile{song.ly} in the next line, my song title jumps to the
right of the page.
If I skip a line in the tex file, then include the song.ly file, the title is
ok.  It took a while to figure out what was happening.  Is that how it's
supposed to work, or is that a bug, or was I doing something wrong?