Input Once, Output Multiple (or, "Am I on the right track?")

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Input Once, Output Multiple (or, "Am I on the right track?")
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:55:25 -0400

Hey, y'all:

I'm planning the engraving of my first 'big' project in Lilypond, and want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction! =)

It's a carol for choir and brass sextet, with a reduction/arrangement of the instrumental parts for piano and a separate one for organ. The choir has significant sections in "unison" (i.e., octaves, really), a fair bit of homophonic work, and some true counterpoint.

I need the following:
1. Full (conductor's rehearsal) score, with 4-stave SATB, 6-stave brass, and 2-stave piano reduction. 2. Choral score, with 1- to 4-stave SATB and instrumental reduction (piano).
3. Organ score, with 1- to 4-stave SATB and organ accompaniment.
4. Individual instrumental parts (6).

If it's not too much extra work, I would also like the following:
5. Reduced study/rehearsal score, with 1- to 2-stave SATB, 3-stave brass "compression", and 2-stave piano reduction.

I'm considering the following setup:

tptOne = ...
tptTwo = ...
horn = ...
trbOne = ...
trbTwo = ...
tuba = ...

choralUnisonA = ...
choralUnisonB = ...
sop = ... (all voices should/may reference choralUnison sections, with transposition/transformation as needed?!)
alto = ...
ten = ...
bass = ...

piano = ... (can I "implode" selected music automatically from the instrumental parts?)

organ = ... (as above)

From there, I think I can build the scores appropriately.

Questions:
a. Does this sound like the most feasible/viable option?
b. Is there a way that global contexts can be of assistance?
c. For sections where the instruments strictly double the voices, would it make any sense to "share" notes?

Thanks for any pointers,
Kieren.