accidental spacing/placement issue

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: accidental spacing/placement issue
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:35:56 -0400

[ Mac OS X 10.2.6;  Lilypond 2.0.1 ]

Hello, all:

I seem to be running into a situation where accidentals are not spacing quite right.

Here is the input:
r <fs c'! e!> <fs c' ef> | r <f! b e!> <f b ef>

And here is the (untweaked) output:

My guess is that the use of ! to force the accidentals -- required because the right hand has "conflicting" accidentals -- is interfering with the standard placement somehow. Does that sound possible? As I remember engraving practice, any accidentals a seventh apart should be vertically aligned, right?

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or should be doing (i.e., other than using extra-offset, obviously) to make this come out correctly?

Thanks,
Kieren.