Re: Relative mode

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Relative mode
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:06:07 +0200

I certainly recognize the problem of having to correct a
few octave mistakes when entering a score, but I think the
general idea of relative mode is so intuitive that I don't
have to spend much time and effort while typing in the music.
However, you are certainly not alone, since a new octave check
feature was added in version 2.0 of LilyPond, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Octave-check.html

Do you have any concrete suggestion for how this should be done
otherwise? I guess you still don't want to type c d' e' f' g' a' b' c'
for an ordinary scale, so we would need some other input symbol to
mean "closest upwards" and "closest downwards".

Also, have you tried using absolute mode, i.e. to use
\transpose c c'{...} instead of \relative c'{...}.
Depending on the type of music and your way of thinking,
it may be more convenient. Note that you can change the
"default" octave in the middle of a piece, by starting a
new \transpose ... section.

   /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
Hi everybody, I've been using Lilypond for a couple of years now, but this is the first time I use this mailing list. I tried to see if anyone wrote something about my issue, I have not found anything relevant, but please excuse me if I just did not look well enough, and this happens to be the 200th thread about this issue. It's about relative mode. I continuously compute intervals to see whether the next note is going to be the upper or the lower one, I write c f g a when I intent c f, g a so I spend quite some time checking the output and correcting such mistakes in large and complex scores. Wouldn't it be useful to have a notation to say "the closest f downwards" or the "closest a upwards" rather than having to compute intervals and to see whether the comma/quote is required or not ? A way of using the relative mode by giving the direction explicitly rather than making it implicit by the distance from the last note. Am I the only one with this (minor) frustration ? Is there something that does exactly what I have in mind, and which I never found ? Cheers, Darius.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology