Re: Trouble starting Lilypond

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Trouble starting Lilypond
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:08:32 +0100

LilyPond is probably fairly different from most other programs you
have experienced before and it's definitely one where you have to
read at least the tutorial before you can do anything useful at all.

So, start with the Windows specific instructions at
http://lilypond.org/web/download/windows.html and then go on
to http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Tutorial.html

Regarding Finale files, there is a small program etf2ly that can
be used to convert them to LilyPond, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Invoking-etf2ly.html
Unfortunately, there have been several reports on the mailing list
that this conversion program has several bugs and limitations.

   /Mats

address@hidden wrote:
Hi--
I have downloaded the software, and installed it, but when I try to start the program (by clicking on lilypond-bin, I get a message that it can't run because the computer cannot locate cygwin1.dll . I have reinstaled everythign everal times, but I get the same message. What should I try? I am using a Dell P4 1.6 ghz, Windows XP. Also, once I get it going, how do I import a Finale 2004 file into Lilypond? Thank you! Kirk O'Riordan

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology