Re: cluster building with ties

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: cluster building with ties
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 12:02:00 -0500

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 06:01 pm, Kieren Richard MacMillan wrote:
> [ Lilypond 2.0.1;  Mac OS X 10.2.8 ]

Questions:

2. The ties collide with the noteheads -- how can I avoid that?

Your tie is no-win.  You seem to be trying to indicate which time
value on the shared notehead is originating the tie by the tie
direction, but tie direction indicates nothing at all.  There is no
reason to have the tie up or down.  It is legal to have a tie quite
short and have it end before the tied note when there is no good way
through the bushes, but that can be misinterpreted.

It would be better to have the tied note on its own stem, since all
the notes on the 4th beat are not tied.

I would lose the dot and have two ties instead of one, or even have a
tied dotted quarter on the third beat,  but that's just me.  daveA