to be improved: short tie within staff from line is vertically exaggerat

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: to be improved: short tie within staff from line is vertically exaggerated
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:52:36 -0500

[ Lilypond 2.0.1;  Mac OS X 10.2.8 ]

Hello, all:

I've found one case where the tie engraver could be improved -- when a short tie joins two notes which are on a line of the staff and the arc of the tie is within the staff:

Figure 1.

Notice how the two ties in the bottom staff are "correct" (and downright beautiful, I am compelled to add!). My theory is that this is because the top one is outside the staff, and the bottom one is connecting two notes which are in spaces.

However, the two ties in the upper staff are vertically exaggerated, because the arc of each tie is trying to avoid the staff line(s). As a comparison example, here is a snapshot from a few bars earlier, which shows a "beautiful" tie on the upper note (on a line, arc-ing away from the staff), and an "ugly" one on the middle line:

Figure 2.

Just thought I'd point this out, in case it can make it into the next version.

Best regards,
Kieren.

p.s. I just joined the developer's list, so this might be my first TODO... ;-)