Re: Removing a MIDI track

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Removing a MIDI track
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 17:41:16 -0500

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 03:14 pm, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
> I'm trying to remove a ChordNames track from the MIDI output, ie,
> prevent it from being played.  I do still want it engraved, but
> silent.  So far, I've been trying to set the volume to 0 or some
> epsilon small enough to not be heard, but the track comes through
> loud and clear when I play it with Timidity:
>
> \score {
>     \notes <<
>       \new ChordNames \chords {
>           \tempo 4=120
>           \property ChordNames.dynamicAbsoluteVolumeFunction = #(lambda
> args 0.0001) \property ChordNames.instrumentEqualizer =  #(lambda
> args 0.0001) \property ChordNames.midiMinimumVolume = #0.0
>           \property ChordNames.midiMaximumVolume = #0.0001
>           %\remove "Staff_performer"
>           d1 a cis:m g:9
>           \bar "||"
>           % Verse
>           d a
>       }
>         % The staves are here, but removed for brevity.
>
>     \midi { \tempo 4=120 }
>     \paper {
>       \translator { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
>     }
> }
>
> I'm trying to do this because the chords are a useful reference when
> studying the music, but are not part of the music as performed, and
> distract from the actual performance.

> Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can accomplish this?

Most of my stuff is the same way.  I just put the chords in as
fingering, markup now.  I never use special signs except
\sharp and \flat so it's easier than Banter's gnarly
notation.  daveA

--
When you've dug yourself into a hole, the first thing you should
do is not to call for more shovels, but to *stop digging*.