Re: newbie question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: newbie question
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:55:21 +0100

You should only apply the \autochange command to the voice that
you want to move between the staves, not to both the upper voices.

I've attached a version where the automatic stave change works.
Also, I declared an identifier for each of the voices to make
it easier to get an overview of the structure. I think this is
a very good habit, in general.

However, I have no good answer to the other problem that you
mention. What happens is that the << ... // ...>> will automatically
set the stem direction of the second voice to point downwards
(corresponding to the macro \voiceTwo).
However, when the voice moves the the lower stave, the stems should
suddenly point upwards instead. I don't know of any good solution
to this problem that should be very common when you use \autochange.

In the end, it may be that you want to do manual stave changes anyway,
in order to get them exactly where Bach put them and in order to be
able to insert a \voiceOne when shifting down to the lower stave.

You probably want a \voiceTwo command in the lowest voice as well,
at least at the bars when the second voice is in the lower stave.

    /Mats

Silvio Segantini wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the list and to lilypond. Thanks to the encouraging of Nicolas
Sceaux, i made my first steps in to this program.

I was really scared by lilypond syntax, but now, after just a week-end of
practice, i realize that it IS much more easy then i thought! great!

well, now the question. It should be a really basic things, i guess, still
i'm not able to fix it. As exercise, I have begun coping  the first of
bach's Dreistimmige inventionen, but i'am not able to employ correctly the
Automatic staff changes. The third voice should be notated alternatively in
the upper or in the lower staff, depending by its texture, but in my example
doesn't move from the upper staff. What is wrong with my use of \autochange
staff?

I have successfully tried manually, with \translator Staff, but in that case
the steams were not automatically placed in the right direction.
thank very much for your help!

Silvio
% secondo.ly

\include "italiano.ly"
\header {
        title = "Sinfonia 1"
        composer = "Johann Sebastian Bach BWV 787"
        tagline = "my first score"
        }

voiceI = \notes \relative do'' {
                 r16 sol la si do re mi fa sol fa sol la fa la sol fa mi2~ mi4
fad sol8 fa mi4 re8 mi16 fa re4~ re8 sol16 fa mi4~ mi8 mi re4~ re4. do8~ do
si16 la si do re si sol4~ sol16 do re mi la, si la si si8. la32 si do8 sol do4~
do8 si16 la re4~ re16 si do re mi4~ mi8 la~ la sol~ sol fad16 mi fad sol la fad
re4~ re16 sol la si mi, fad mi fad fad8. mi32 fad sol16 la sol fa mi re do si
la si la sol la fad sol la si4~ si16 sol la sib la mi fa sol la si dod re mi re
mi fa mi sib' la sol fa sol fa mi re dod re mi fa4 fad sol fa~ fa8 mi16 re mi4~
mi8 re~ re do~do si16 la si8 re sol4~ sol16 la fa sol la4 si do sib la r16 mi
re do si re mi fa sol2~ sol16 do, fa mi fa4 mi re2~ re16 fa mi re do2 si4 do1
\fermata \bar "|."
}

voiceII = \notes \relative do'' { r1 r16 do, re mi fa sol la si do si do re do
mi re do si8 re~ re do~ do4 si~ si r16 re do si la4.la8 sol fa mi4 re2~ re16 fa
mi re  do si la sol fa sol fa mi fa re mi fa mi4 r8 mi' fad4 r16 do'16 si la
sol4~ sol16 sol do si do4 si la2~ la16 do si la sol fad mi re do re do si do la
si do si4~ si16 si la sol fad8 r8 r4 r16 re' mi fa mi4~ mi16 r16 r8 r4 r8 la,
si dod re16 re mi fa sol la si dod re dod re mi do mib re do sib la sib do la
do sib la sol4. sol8 fa4 mi8 r8 r2 r16 fa sol la si do re mi fa mi fa sol fa la
sol fa mi8 la8~ la sol~ sol16 do, re mi fa4~ fa r16 fa mi re do re do sib la4~
la8 re8~ re do~ do si16 la si do re si sol4 r16 sib la sol fa sol fa mi fa re
mi fa mi1 }

voiceIII = \notes {do4 r8 do' si sol la si do'4 r8 si la sol la re sol,16 sol
la si do' re' mi' fa' sol' fa' sol' la' fa' la' sol' fa' mi' fa' mi' re' do' si
la sol fa sol fa mi fa re mi fa mi sol, la, si, do re mi fa sol fa sol la fa la
sol fa  mi2~ mi4 re do16 re do si, la, sol, fad, mi, re, mi re do si, la, sol,
fa, mi, fa mi re do si, la, sol, fad, re, mi, fad, sol, la, si, do re do re mi
do mi re do si,4 si~ si la mi8 re do4 re16 sol fad mi re do si, la, sol, la,
sol, fa, sol, mi, fa, sol, dod,8 re dod si, la, sol fa mi re r r4 r16 sol'16
fa' mi' re' do' sib la sol do re mi fa sol la sib do' sib do' re' sib re' do'
sib la sol la si \clef violin do' re' mi' fa' sol' fa' sol' la' fa' la' sol'
fa' mi'4 r4 r16 do''16 si' la' sol' fa' mi' re' \clef bass do'  re' do' sib do'
la sib do' fa sol fa mi re do si, la, sol, la sol fa mi re do sib, la, sib la
sol fa mi re do si, sol, la, si, do re mi fa sol fa sol la fa la sol fa mi8
fa16 sol la8 do re mi16 fa sol8 sol, do1 \fermata \bar "|."
}

\score {
        \notes
        \new PianoStaff
        \simultaneous {
                \context Staff = "up" {
                \clef violin
                 << \voiceI \\ \autochange Staff \context Voice \voiceII >> }

                \context Staff = "down" {
                \clef bass
                \voiceTwo % Sets directions of stems, slurs et cetera.
                \voiceIII
}}

\paper {
        papersize ="a4"