Re: Staffgroup question

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: Staffgroup question
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:07:32 +0100

address@hidden (Jeffery B. Rancier) writes:

> I've been fiddling with the satb.ly template, trying to create a
> barbershop quartet template.

...which is not very different from a ttbb male choir template, so
I'll bite.

> My question: Why can I get away with specifying the time signature
> once in the first staff, and have it default to the same in the
> lower staff, but not have the key signature behave the same way.

I wouldn't know.

> It may seem a silly question, but I never played anything that has
> diffent keys in a connected staff.  As such:

Me neither, and I *have* sung stuff that has different time signatures
in different staffs ;)

But I'll comment a bit more:

> \score { \notes
>        \context StaffGroup <<

You probably want \context ChoirStaff here (and so does satb.ly; using
StaffGroup is a bug, IMHO).

>            \property Score.automaticMelismata = ##t

Some day, I wish someone could explain to me what this does, 'cuz I
surely don't understand it.

>            \context Lyrics = tenorLyrs {  }
>            \context Staff = treble { \key ef \major \time 2/2 }

you might want to call your context "tenors" or something, but more
importantly you probably want to say \clef "treble_8".

>            \context Lyrics = leadLyrs {  }
>            \context Lyrics = bariLyrs {  }
>            \context Staff = bass {\clef bass \key ef \major }

...and you don't want to repeat \key ef \major, so get that out into a
global section that you define (earlier in the file) thus:

global = \notes { \key ef \major \time 2/2 } % and possibly more common stuff

You can reference that in your line above, like this

    \context Staff = bass { \clef bass \global }

(and likewise for the tenor staff)

>            \context Lyrics = bassLyrs {  }
>
>            \addlyrics
>            \context Staff = treble \context Voice = VA { \voiceOne
> \tenorMusic }
>            \context Lyrics = tenorLyrs { \tenorWords}
> [...]
>
> And secondly, is that the correct place(s) to put the \key & \time
> keywords?

Inside a global section, see above.

> Thirdly, the original template defined:
>
> ,----
> |          \context Lyrics = tenorLyrs {  }
> `----
>
> as
>
> ,----
> |          \context Lyrics = tenorLyrs { s1 }
> `----
>
> What's the significance of that term?

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it's an artefact of a
workaround of an old bug, but I wouldn't know.

--

Arvid