Re: Staffgroup question

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Staffgroup question
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:10:25 -0500

    >> \property Score.automaticMelismata = ##t
    Arvid> Some day, I wish someone could explain to me what this does, 'cuz I
    Arvid> surely don't understand it.

automaticMelismata means that if you slur notes together, all the
notes under the slur take up only one syllable of text.  For simple
enough polyphony, this may mean that you only have to enter one set of
lyrics for all parts instead of lyrics for each part.  Of course, once
the parts have different words, you still have to enter them.  That
is, if one part sings:

    Al- le- lu- ia

and another part sings:

    Al- le- lu- _ ia

you're ok if you have automaticMelismata set to true and you slur the
two notes under "lu".  But if the second part sings:

    Al- le- lu-  ia, al- le- lu-  ia

Then you have to give it separate lyrics anyway.  But you still might
want to use the automaticMelismata because entering the underscores to
indicate the melisma is one of the tedious and error-prone parts of
entering lilypond.  If you want to use this, and don't want to see the
slurs connecting the notes, you set:

\property Score.Slur \override #'transparent = ##t

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139