Re: TabStaff and midi

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: TabStaff and midi
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:42:45 +0100

Today, LilyPond doesn't know anything about the semantics of tab
notation, it only supports the notation of it. In other words,
there's no support for interpreting the tab into pitches that
can be output into a MIDI file.

If you search the mailing list archives, you will find out that
there have been some long discussions (partly infected) on the
tab notation. One reason for the confusion is that tab notation
differs a lot, both in notation and in interpretation, between
different instruments and different music styles.

   /Mats

Joshua McFadden wrote:
I've been searching the documentation and googling for an hour
now... is there _any_ way to get TabStaff to output a midi track?

Here's a short example, and when I run lilypond on it (2.1.0 on
Debian), the Staff and Lyrics wind up in the midi file, and the
TabStaff doesn't:

\score {
  <<
    <<
      \addlyrics
      \context Staff = melody { \clef "G_8" \melody }
      \context Lyrics = words { \words }

    \context TabStaff = accp { \accp }

  \paper { }
  \midi { \tempo 4 . = 55 }