Re: Some doubts

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Some doubts
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:32:48 +0100

Don't doubt, see the possibilities!

Daniel Berjón Díez wrote:
Hello, everybody,

I'm trying to typeset the Sonata in A for violin and piano by César Franck, but I'm kind of new to Lilypond, and I would like to ask you if is it possible to do some things I would like to do. As I don't know if it's allowed or desirable to send attachments to the list, I've put in a web server an example of what I'd like to do: http://www.gtic.ssr.upm.es/dberjon/franck.png
1. Is there a way to typeset the half brackets printed in red on the example?
They're used, as all of you know, to indicate that the notes in the bracket
should be played with the left hand, so the player don't break his/her right
hand trying to stretch it to play all what's written in the upper staff. ;) I
don't know if they receive any proper name in English, sorry about that.

As far as I know, there is no builtin support for it. You may want to
try something similar to
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#molecule-hacking.ly

2. How can I specify the font and size for the indications (The "molto dolce",
in this case)? I've been reading the manual, but I've been unable to understand it. :(

If you just want to specify it for this particular text, I recommend to
use the \markup{...} feature, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Text-markup.html
For example, you could say _\markup{ \bold {molto dolce}}

If you want to do the same change to all text annotations in the score,
it's better to set some properties, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Font-selection.html
For example, you could say
\property Voice.TextScript \override #'font-relative-size = #1
\property Voice.TextScript \override #'font-shape = #'italic
and then just do d8_"molto dolce"

3. Is there a simple way to typeset in a smaller size both the soloist staff
and all the objects contained or associated with it? I mean, as this would be
the piano score, the violin part is provided only as a reference, and the
pianist doesn't need to see a very big violin part, but I would like to extract
that part for the particella for the violinist without having to change all
font sizes and the rest of the objects.

Certainly, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/test/out-www/collated-files.html#staff-size.ly

4. How do I put dynamics affecting all the piano part, not only the upper or
lower staff?

What do you mean? If you want dynamics typeset centered between the two
staves, see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/input/template/out-www/collated-files.html#piano-dynamics.ly

  /Mats