Fwd: using Feta outside Lilypond [SOLVED, MOSTLY]

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Fwd: using Feta outside Lilypond [SOLVED, MOSTLY]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:38:39 -0500

Hello, Mats:

All the fonts are embedded in the PDF and PS files, but Illustrator
unfortunately seems to be very bad at handling embedded fonts and
PS/PDF in general. Of course, this is weird since Adobe themselves
have developed both the PS and PDF format.

One trick that might help is to run the program 'ps2ps' on the
PS or PDF file, which converts the font symbols to graphics.

Perfect!
Now I can easily manipulate every element in the score individually in Illustrator: point-perfect scores, here I come! ;-)

For those interested, the following shell command (Mac OS X 10.2.8) works wonderfully:

lilypond -P \!:1.ly ; ps2ps \!:1.ps \!:1_.ps ; rm \!:1.ps ; rm -rf \!:1.dvi ; open -a /Applications/Preview.app \!:1.pdf

This can be put into an alias (which I call "lilymake"), and does the following:
    1. Invokes the lilypond binary on the filename provided;
    2. Opens the (PDF) output with Preview.app;
3. Invokes the ps2ps binary ("forcing" the font embedding), with output to filename_.ps;
    4. Removes the .dvi file and original .ps file.

[Obviously, you should adjust the script to suit your specific needs/preferences...]

Best regards,
Kieren.

p.s. Mats: for some reason, in the file that comes out of the ps2ps process, the time signatures and dynamics are less crisp than everything else (which appears to be vector/PostScript perfect) -- any thoughts why that might be?