Re: line breaking newbie question

From: Rupert
Subject: Re: line breaking newbie question
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:42:38 +0000 (UTC)

> Rupert wrote:
> >
> >I'm having trouble with line breaks.

[snip]

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 04:56:01PM +0100, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> LilyPond will only consider breaking lines where you have bar lines.

Yes. Oddly though, in my example I have barlines but lilypond doesn't
break there although not doing so means the line is far too long.

> If you don't want any bar lines in the output,

actually i do want barlines... I want bars of arbitrary length and I
want the barlines to be measure boundaries too (so accidentals are
dealt with properly). I'm getting the arbitrary bar lengths with
\cadenzaOn ... \cadenzaOff pairs.

> you could indicate positions that are good candidates for line
> breaks by inserting invisible bar lines with \bar "". If you want to
> force a line break, combine it with the command \break: \bar ""
> \break

Interesting, but I'd much prefer to let lilypond decide where to break
the lines.

> If you don't want any bar lines in your score and want LilyPond
> to be able to break the lines anywhere, you could use
> \score{
>   \paper{
>     \translator{
>       \ScoreContext
>       barAlways = ##t
>       defaultBarType = #""
>     }
>   }
> }
>

> By the way, I hope you realize that the line \include "paper16.ly"
> in your example doesn't have any effect, since it comes after the
> score.

Nope, I hadn't realised that :) But moving that line to the top of the
file creates a tex file that exhausts tex's memory :(

Thanks for the help,
Rupert

PS I should have mentioned before that I'm using lilypond 2.0.0