Re: OS 10.3 & lilypond

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: OS 10.3 & lilypond
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:36:58 -0800

On Nov 1, 2003, at 6.39 AM, Terje Tjervaag wrote:

On Oct 31, 2003, at 8:14 PM, Will Oram wrote:

Does anyone here have lilypond 2, Panther, and the newest version of fink installed at the same time?

Yes!

:-)

Though I am a bit confused by the Fink versions. Are those the version of the installer package, the version of the fink binary or what? Anyhow, have Lilypond 2.0.1-1, Panther and not sure what version of fink. The installed package says 0.16.0-1, if that tells you anything. If not, let me know what more info you're looking for and I'll do my best to help.

Well, I guess if you've called 'fink selfupdate-rsync' in the past few weeks, you should have the latest version. (I don't blame you about the version confusion...there's one number for the package manager and one for the distribution!)

Calling 'fink -V' and checking for the Distribution version should give you the right idea.

Apparently it's all about the order in which things were installed. If lilypond 2 was already present on your system before the new fink came along, then you're OK. What I did was erase lilypond 2 -- I had to for certain reasons -- then install the new fink. As there's no lilypond 2/Panther distribution I'm aware of, I can't install it through fink.

Maybe there's another nonfink way to do this?

I am a brand new user, and found this exchange of messages in the archives, while looking around trying to learn something. :-) So I apologize if this issue is already dead, but I'd like to find out what's going on.

Last night I installed Panther onto a blank drive, then the latest fink, and then lilypond. Everything is working, as far as a first-day user can tell. Have I done something right, or something very wrong? :-)

Thanks
David