textwidth

From: David Bobroff
Subject: textwidth
Date: 03 Dec 2003 23:18:01 +0000

Here's something I've never figured out.  When using lilypond-book with
LaTeX (and the graphics package) the textwidth has never behaved as I
would have thought.  For example:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{graphics}
\usepackage{geometry}
\geometry{textwidth=190mm,
textheight=250.000000mm,headheight=3cm,headsep=1cm,footskip=30mm}

\begin{document}
\lilypond{c d e f g a b c' c d e f g a b c' c d e f g a b c' c d e f }
\end{document}

With the textwidth set to 190mm the result is reasonable.  If I start
reducing it, the width of the printed music stays the same, but it
shifts to the right.  Increasing it shifts it to the left.  What I would
expect is that setting the textwidth to a smaller value would make the
printed music narrower.  What am I failing to understand?

-David Bobroff