Re: No Parts

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: No Parts
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:33:23 -0700

Will Oram wrote:

The score I'm writing only generates one .pdf/.ps output, the orchestral score. What do I need to add to churn out parts for each instrument?

I just heard about sly now (still don't quite get it), so it might be too late for that since everything's already written out.

The basic format of my score:

[include file for each instrument]
[orch score header]

\score {
    [many, many instruments...an example:]
\context StaffGroup ="timpani_group" <<
\property StaffGroup.InstrumentName \set #'font-magnification = #1.25
      \context Staff ="timpani" <<
          \property Staff.midiInstrument = #"timpani"
\property Staff.instrument = \markup { \center < "Timpani in E-H" > }
          \theTimpani

\midi { [stuff] }
\paper { [adjustments] }
}

For each instrument, it's essentially 'myLabel = \notes \relative X { NOTES }.

You probably need a separate ly file for each part. See "An orchestral part" in the tutorial. Here's an example I used for a flute part for a flute quartet where jinglenotes.ly has all the music.

\include "paper20.ly"
\include "jinglenotes.ly"

\header {
 title    = "Jingle Bells"
 subtitle = "For Flute Quartet"
 arranger = "Arranged by Len by Golly"
 piece    = "Flute 1"
 tagline  = ""
}

\paper {
   papersize = "letter"
   indent = 0 \in
   \translator { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
}

\score {
   <<
   \global