tie and slur shapes

From: Richard Lyons
Subject: tie and slur shapes
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:01:06 +0100

This is quite a learning curve!  I have to use two voices in some bars,
so I end up needing to carry the two voices to wherever phrasing slurs
lead.  Sometimes I have to put the same note in both voices and make
one stem transparent, so as to include all ties and slurs.  Fiddly, but
manageable.

But :
 - some ties just refuse to appear - no error message, just silently
   dropped.  And
 - I cannot find any way to affect the shape of slurs.  I've tried
   beautiful and de-uglify, but the parameters I've entered have no
   effect at all.
 - Ties insist on selecting their vertical curvature according to the
   voice.  If I have to use the top voice, the tie curves up, even
   when the notes are right at the bottom of the stave and there is
   also a slur below.  This looks wrong.  But '\tieDown' does nothing,
   '\property Voice.TieColumn \override #'direction = #-1' has no
   effect.  What am I doing wrong?

All help gratefully accepted!!

--
richard