more on chord names

From: Paul Scott
Subject: more on chord names
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:43:21 -0700

In the docs chord names seem to be somewhat connected with the notes in the music. I don't want to have any automagic connection between the music and the chord symbols. Maybe I still don't understand how to generate some of the chord names. In particular I need to generate a minor chord with a suspended 4th and can't find a way to build that. I guess that is not the same as 'a min /d' which I think specifies that the 4th is in the bass?

I tried some of the markup exceptions and couldn't get what I tried to work.

Attached is where I am at the moment. It also shows an interesting feature (bug?) where specifying 3- gives a seemingly redundant m super (flat 3).

Thanks for any help,

Paul Scott

\include "english.ly"

jzchords = \property ChordNames.ChordName \override #'style = #'jazz

sl = {
          \property Voice.NoteHead \override #'style = #'slash
          \property Voice.Stem \override #'length = #0
}

nsl = {
         \property Voice.NoteHead \revert #'style
         \property Voice.Stem \revert #'length }

ch  = \chords {
    %\jzchords
    bf1:m bf1:3- %\markup { "m" \normal-size-super "sus4" }
    fs1:7sus4 ef1:7sus4 c1:7sus4 c1:sus4 c1:7sus4 c:aug
}

gtr = \notes\relative c'' {
    \sl \repeat unfold 8 { b4 b b b }
}