Re: piano 4-hand scores on facing sheets?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: piano 4-hand scores on facing sheets?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:47:49 -0500

    David> It seems to me that this format has the disadvantages of
    David> both score and parts and the advantages of neither.  Has
    David> this been done before?  isn't it better to get used to a
    David> four stave system?  I'm not trying to give you a hard time,
    David> I'm really curious.  daveA

I'm not a very good piano player, but I think what he was talking
about is the standard way to notate 4-hand piano music.  I don't think
I own any that uses four staves.  Suppose you were playing the top
part and were way up at the top of the keyboard, and the notes you
needed to read were way at the left edge of the left page?  At least
with your own part, the worst you can be is at the left edge of the
right page.  The same problem of course would hit the bottom
part player who was at the bottom of the keyboard with notes all the
way over on the right edge of the right hand page.  Soloists don't
have their duet partner in the way of the contortions they need to do
this.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139