Re: piano 4-hand scores on facing sheets?

From: Johann Petrak
Subject: Re: piano 4-hand scores on facing sheets?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 20:31:36 +0100

David Raleigh Arnold wrote:
It seems to me that this format has the disadvantages of both score and
parts and the advantages of neither.  Has this been done before?  isn't
it better to get used to a four stave system?  I'm not trying to give
you a hard time, I'm really curious.  daveA

I think the facing-page layout is the more traditional one and it is
better suited for teacher/student settings, since it makes it easier for
the (beginning) student to read her own score.
But of course it is no problem to use the four stave system - I was just
curious if the facing page layout is possible.

Laura Conrad wrote:
I'm not a very good piano player, but I think what he was talking
about is the standard way to notate 4-hand piano music.  I don't think
> I own any that uses four staves.  Suppose you were playing the top
> part and were way up at the top of the keyboard, and the notes you
> needed to read were way at the left edge of the left page?  At least
> with your own part, the worst you can be is at the left edge of the
> right page.  The same problem of course would hit the bottom
> part player who was at the bottom of the keyboard with notes all the
> way over on the right edge of the right hand page.  Soloists don't
> have their duet partner in the way of the contortions they need to do
> this.

I own a couple that use the four-stave system too and actually
prefer it for more advanced peaces, since it makes it easier
to read the other score and find out where we are ...

I was trying to figure this out just because I wanted to typeset a piece
for teacher and student.

But of course the world does not end if lilypond cannot do this :)

Thank you both for the help!

Johann