Staff vertical extent in lilypond-book

From: John Williams
Subject: Staff vertical extent in lilypond-book
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:20:09 -0700 (MST)

I have a several small snippets of music which I am processing with
lilypond-book (in spite of the incredibly annoying "maximum recursion
limit exceeded" errors -- I wish someone would find a fix for python 1.x).

Anyway, I would like to move the lyrics closer to the staff, but I'm not
using a score, paper, or translator section.  Is there anyway to do this?

Example snippet:

<lilypond>
% lyrics could be closer
\addlyrics
\new Staff \notes \relative e'' {
\clef treble \key c \major \time 4/4
\partial 4 e^\markup{\italic "Adagio."} |
c4. c8 b4. c8 | a4
}
\new Lyrics \lyrics {
al -- lein al -- lein al -- lein