Re: Lilypond website

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: Lilypond website
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 17:05:21 +0100

Sun, 4 Jan 2004 06:17:49 -0800 (PST), Chip a dit :

 > Finale is used by some of the world's
 > largest publication houses (even Barenreiter) and I
 > don't think they would all be using it if a better
 > approach to engraving existed.

The `better' does not always coincide with `the most used', and vice
versa. These are orthogonal qualities. Human beings are not that
logical. Vulcanians are.

 > I can assure you that no professional engraver will use
 > something that has to be engraved through a command
 > line!

The real issue is: what time does it take to write the score with
LilyPond and Finale? IMHO tap tap tap is a lot faster than clic clic
clic. Maybe the learning curve of LilyPond is longer (I don't know),
but having regular text source code and command line are *features*,
not drawbacks, because they make typesetting a lot faster, and reusing
a lot easier. But I'm no professional engraver, I cannot assume
too much about the importance of time for someone making money in
typesetting scores (ironic smiley here).

Best regards,
Nicolas